Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Met Ball - 2011

Chloe Sevigny: Alexander McQueen.
Well there's something very special about the Met Ball. Every year it's this event that showcases the very best of celebrity/fashion fodder. Year after year we see the hottest of models, designers, actors and other forms of celebrities at this terribly fabulous New York event, and every year it throws out some fabulous fashion pics.
This year the late and very great Alexander McQueen was honoured. Enough said.
I was keen to suss out Blake Lively (in Chanel as always), Alexa Chung, Miranda Kerr and Orlando (will they may an appearance?), Anna Wintour, what about my current fave Georgia May Jagger. Take a look for yourself and let me know if you agree with my favourates.
Ashley Olsen: Vintage Dior
Wow, is it just me, or is this dress a stroke of genius? Turn of the century puff tied sleeves on a sleek, modern evening gown. Sexy and yet so damsel in distress. I love the pirate wench sleeves.
Ginnifer Goodwin: TopShop
The lady works this Top Shop like it was Gucci, which I thought it was! I've said it before (recently) and I'll say it again. Emerald green is fabulous right now. Ginnifer works this cut-out gown with 'tude and I love it. And check out that jade neacklace. Yes please.

I don't usually love Anna Wintour's choices. Don't get me wrong, she's always immaculately dressed but a little too prim for me. Which is part of her appeal, I get that. Anyway, this year she blitzed it at the ball in a custom Chanel gown. Isn't it just so great? There's something about it that's kind of... inappropriate. But when its draped on the body of one of the world's most thoughtful fashionistas, it suddenly becomes completely appropriate. Loved it.
Anna Wintour: Chanel.
Gwenyth Paltrow: Stella McCartney
Gwyneth never really challenges the norm too much, and she certainly doesn't here but this dress is a pretty great look on her. 
Christina Ricci: Zac Posen
Talk about drama. Now this is the kind of dress I expect to see at the Met Ball. It's a ball after all.

Blake Lively: Chanel
This represents a bit of a departure for Blake and I'm liking that she's trying something new in terms of shape, but I don't think it's her best look yet. Now I don't trash talk Blake, but I have to say, I'm not loving her new hair colour. It's reminiscent of one L Lohan. Not cool.

Brooklyn Decker: Michael Kors
You see unlike Christina Ricci, this isn't a ball gown but it's simple, well cut and she's a knock-out in it. I want this dress.

Leelee Sobieski: Vionnet
There's something very Princess Leia about this outfit which works for me. I can also see Jerry Hall minxing into Studio 54 in it. Great restaint shown and great belt.
Jennifer Lopez: Gucci
Less restraint shown here but what do you expect from JLO? I am starting to like her red carpet choices more and more of late. Does she have a new stylist?
Sarah Jessica Parker: Alexander McQueen
Ok so it's not ground-breaking but look at that detail and the beading. It's a work of art. McQueen of course. Hair looks great too. She's trying new things with her hair which is cool. Who's the guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment