Monday, January 09, 2012

Summertime and The Eating's Easy

Well Summer has well and truly hit Sydney town. With temps hovering in the mid to late 20s last week and set to soar into the 30s this week, my mind has turned to fresh and healthy eating. But do not fear food lovers, never at the cost of flavour. Lately I've been cooking things like spicy chicken larb in lettuce cups, salad nicoise with fresh tuna and salmon with asian greens.

When things get a bit hectic and I don't feel like slaving away over a hot stove (or missing out on whatever scintillating exposay is taking pklace on ACA), I'm also a big fan of the mid week fish and chip dinner. By this I mean, picking up some grilled fish from the chipper and then making a salad. Sometimes when I feel like that little bit of grease, (you know, Summer is full of drinks here and cocktails there, the occasional dab of grease is a must), I'll order a small serve of chips with no salt. I know, silly, it just makes me feel better about it when I have them without salt.

And then there's always the "girly dinner". Sometimes when TL is out and about mid-week I take the opportunity to revert to the single-girl style of dining I used to live on pre marriage. I'm talking ryvitas with ricotta and tomato, or avo, basil and tomato on toast... or just a boiled egg... or if I've had a large lunch that day, I'll savour just a few pieces of cookies and cream chocolate... with a glass of wine. You know, that sort of thoroughly soul nourishing fare that simply cannot be put forward as a dinner option to a husband. Does anyone else do these? Am I alone here?

Happy eating kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment