Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Trip to the Dentist

Ok I'm going to come clean here on something. I haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years. Well it could be somewhere between 3 and 4 years. Ok before you squeal in horror, yes I do look after my teeth. I brush twice daily, rarely eat lollies, don't drink fizzy drink and generally eat very little sugar.

However, whenever you visit the dentist that never seems to be enough. Before you know it they're dismissing your valiant "Oh yes I brush thoroughly twice daily" statements with, "right, and what about flossing. Are you doing any flossing?". Seriously. FLOSSING? Who the hell has time? Or interest? It has to be one of the most boring, difficult and plain annoying things to do. Do any of you floss? Is everyone flossing and I'm the odd one out?

Anyway, I have been meaning to book this appointment for years and now that I am not working, I no longer have an excuse. So, with my barely-never flossed teeth, I bit the bullet and booked. But rather than take the available appointment for this week, I opted instead to take an appointment 2.5 weeks from now. My strategy? To buy some floss and floss once a day every day until the appointment. I am hoping that the dentist will see my good work reflected in the state of my teeth and commend me for my sterling oral health management. And just give me a nice old scale and clean and send me on my way. As opposed to tell me that I need four fillings, that I have tooth decay, lots of plaque and that we really should re-visit that wisdom teeth extraction process that I started about 4.5 years ago. Don't ask, it's NOT a nice story. Needless to say, it's one of the reasons I never want to set foot in a dentist's office again.

OK wish me luck. I will floss hard and give you the verdict in about 2.5 weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment